New roads. New lessons.

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rwanda Email #3


Hello, my friends. Wow, the days have been really full. I am sorry that I have not written sooner. The weekend was filled with constant reminders of dark and light. 

We spent the morning at the Dream Center Saturday. Lots of kids. 600+ plus easy. They had a time of a Bible message, worked on their Christmas cards for their sponsors, and then hung out w/ us. There would be 10+ kids around each of us. They love to look at our hands, touch our hair, and just stare at us. That made me a little uncomfortable, so I had to just ask lots of questions, show my family pics, and see what funny tricks they could do (I can touch my tongue to my nose- a few of them could as well. It made them laugh!) After that fun morning, we had lunch and went to the Kigali Memorial for the genocide. It is has a large, garden surrounding the building which has lots of beautiful growth-a stark contrast to what lie inside as we read the history of events before and during the genocide. On the grounds lie many mass graves. One is still open as they continue to find remains of people all over the city. Very sobering. A day of light and dark.

Sunday opened with breakfast and worship at the Dream Center. It was so fun to experience worshipping in one spirit with my brothers and sisters in Christ here in Rwanda! After worship we went to lunch at a restaurant. Everyone was excited to have "American" food. Many got burgers, fries, and cokes. Pretty funny! We then headed to Nyamata. This is one of the many churches where thousands fled for safety and refuge from the killers. In 1959 people in the churches were not harmed during the mass killings that occurred then, so people hoped the same would be true again. It was not the case. Approximately 10,000 people were killed in this building. The building still stands with evidences of murder all over it. Inside lie piles and piles of clothes from those who perished there. There is a mass grave on the site. The guide told us there were 20 sets of bones in each coffin. There are also bones laid out in a very orderly way, so as to display many of the results of the method in which the men, women, and children were killed. My heart raced during the whole visit, yet it was so very hard to breathe. Events were shared with us which I can not bring myself to repeat out loud. My heart  and spirit ached to the core, and my Father tenderly soothed my cries of anger, frustration, disbelief, and sorrow.  My Lord is so gracious. As we exited the site, we gathered as a group and were led in prayer by a pastor on our team. He read from Ezekiel 37. Truly a time of perspective. Upon lifting our eyes, we saw in the distance a group of little orphan toddlers and their house mother walking. They waited as we walked over to love on them. They were beautiful and a gracious reminder of Jesus love. Again, light and dark.

After 2 very emotionally challenging days, it was nice to get started on the library project at the New Life School in Kayonza. Yesterday we had a slow start, which was expected. We should be better prepared to process more books today and equip the staff and team there with the tools and knowledge to have the first computerized library in the country of Rwanda. History is being made in that school and God's name is being lifted high and glorified! Other members on our team will also disciple some of the women on staff and many of the children while we are there today. 4 children came to Christ yesterday and we rejoiced with the angels in heaven! 

Also, the food is super yummy. I have seen and killed only one mosquito. The weather is not crazy hot like the deep south, but still it is warm. The people of Rwanda are welcoming, hard working, and filled with joy. It has been a wonderful week. I have had the opportunity to FaceTime w/ Mike and the kids back home which helps not miss them quite as much. Just a smile from them brightens my day! Our team is really fun. I have laughed so much while here. What a fun journey it has been so far! One more week to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment